Ever feel like you’re out of touch with your body’s signals when it comes to when to eat, what to eat, and/or how much?
You’re not alone.
It’s especially common if you’ve been following diets or restrictive eating patterns to lose or gain weight, or because of participating in sports that emphasize a certain “look” or use weight classes.
Relearning how to recognize and trust your body’s signals can take time, patience and practice. It is such a gift to yourself!
Here’s a great quote:
“Good nutrition isn’t rigid, restrictive, or complicated.” – Unknown
One of the biggest fears people have when they start out with intuitive eating is thinking they will start eating foods they think are “bad” for them, and not want to stop.
- The real truth is that if you’re following the principles of intuitive eating, this is very unlikely to happen.
- You need to trust yourself. Over time, your body will rebalance, and you’ll easily be able to recognize what feels good and what doesn’t.
- If you’re just getting started and are experimenting with intuitive eating, it’s a good idea keep this basic info handy:
1. Drink enough water (at least half your body’s weight in ounces every day).
2. Protein is the most satiating nutrient – it will help you stay feeling fuller, longer. (Note: this doesn’t make it “good” or “bad,” but if you find yourself feeling hungry soon after eating, adding it to your meals can help.)
3. Fiber and nutrient-dense foods (like veggies) will help your body function optimally.
4. Some foods (like sugary, processed foods) can affect your hormones, leading you to want to eat more – i.e., you might get a headache or feel super tired or grouchy if you suddenly stop eating them.
5. Studies prove “ultra-processed” foods drive us to eat more, plus they generally don’t contain as many healthy nutrients as unprocessed foods.
— If you find you are really struggling to tap into your body’s signals, you might want to reach out to a professional instead of a book or something on your phone.
Have you been more mindful of how you’re eating since we started this series on intuitive eating!?
Hit “REPLY” on this email and let me know! I always love hearing from you!
On a side note, I’ve been getting a TON of positive feedback from this series, so I’ve opened up 2 more spots this week for goal-mapping sessions.
– They are going to go fast, so reply now if you want one!
2020 is your year. Time to make your goals a REALITY.
Make it an amazing day,
Sara Karman; Owner